Saturday, November 20, 2010
Whenever I want to get a quilt done in a timely manner, I divide the total number of blocks by the number of days in which I'd like the finished blocks. In this case, I decided to try and make 12 Berkeley blocks a day to finish them in four days. Things were going swimmingly until Friday. Friday was riddled with unexpected happenings--most of them good. I started the morning sewing, as I usually do when I am on a mission. Then my sister called and wanted to go out to lunch....and then I decided to stop at the nursery for some pine boughs and curly willow branches to put in the pot outside on the front porch. At the nursery I did an extensive search for ornamental cabbage plants (they were out of them...) which took us some extra time. After I arrived home and started to make the arrangement, I decided to do some much needed clean-up in the front yard. I then proceeded to spend the rest of the afternoon with my husband (and I tried to explain to him just why I had to buy dead branches for the front porch) and at the end of the day went out to a fundraiser for The Willows Academy, where I used to teach. In short--I had a great day. But, I only finished 6 blocks. Luckily, I had finished the assigned 12 blocks in the previous two days bringing my grand total of blocks to 30 for the week! Needless to say, I'm feelin' pretty good about that.
And now, I have to decide whether or not to try and finish this quilt top before Thanksgiving. Let's see...I'm spending the week with my family (code for hanging out with the sisters, cooking, eating and watching old movies). We are very serious about our Thanksgiving menu at our household. And unlike Barbara Stanwyck in Christmas in Connecticut, we really do make the food we talk about. That having been said, I think I have decided to give myself a reprieve for the coming week. Berkeley Blue will have to wait.