Sunday, November 13, 2011
Having finished the ripping and re-basting of the rectangle top in record time, I immediately started to quilt it with parallel lines. This was actually my first instinct for this quilt--and I thought about it a lot while I was piecing. When I got it on the frame, however, I didn't follow through. It's pretty easy to do straight lines on my longarm. I have channel locks and a stitch regulator, so I just pop them both on and go from side to side. Straight line quilting is one of my favorite patterns but it can expose of lot of irregularities in your piecing, especially where the shapes aren't straight. This is why I was reticent to use straight lines from the start. But, I am glad I took the time to rip and re-do the quilting here. I think the straight lines work with the piecing design--they actually add more rectangles to the top, instead of taking away from them.
After I finished the binding, I washed the quilt with retayne on a hot water cycle. I had noticed while piecing that some of the darker fabrics were running even from the leak in my iron. To avoid some serious bleeding, I put a very generous dose of retayne in the washer. I dried it for a few minutes and then pinned it (while it was still damp) to my large cutting mat to block it.
I am not sure what I'm going to do with this quilt. I think that's why it was so much fun to make!