Saturday, June 11, 2011

The making of a green glass door

Of the four patterns I had at spring market, my favorite is green glass door.  I actually drew this design shortly after we opened--over 5 years ago!  It took this long for me to get together a great grouping of green fabrics, make the quilt and write the pattern.  That's one of the funny things I have found about designing and publishing patterns--often designs that we sketch out take years to come to fruition. 

Anyway, starting a second sample of green glass door is one of the first things I did upon returning home from market a few weeks ago.  This time, I decided to make it in blues.  It always starts with some sort of inspiration for me...in this case, a collection of blue bottles I have sitting on a windowsill in my studio.



Then, a stack of fabrics.  It never hurts to have way more than you could ever use!


Then I dive in and start cutting pieces, one at a time.  Although I usually like to cut multiple pieces at a time for the sake of efficiency, I make an exception for this quilt because I want to make fabric placement decisions as I go along.  As I cut, I place the block centers on a design board.  A big part of the success of a green glass door is having an even dispersement of large/small, dark/light, funky/non-funky prints.  I want to make sure that I do not cut too many of my favorites, which could make the quilt less interesting,



I also like to make sure to include some really random fabrics--fabrics that I bought because I loved, but did not necessarily have a plan for.  Like this print with the chairs...chairs with birds!  So random and so fun!!


Sometimes, things can get a little messy on my cutting table during this process. 


Once I have cut the centers, I start cutting strips for the frames and pinning them up on the board with the centers.





Once I think I have the frames and centers set, I start to sew them all together.  It's a lot of fun, really.   And I like how the process of making this particular quilt differs from our other quilts.

2 comments:

  1. I respect your opinion regarding that you want to change your green door to blue glass doors, go for it as long that you will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing how you work up your fabric choices for the green (blue) glass door. I tried ordering this pattern from blueundergroundstudios but they want to ship it priority mail for $9.20 so I guess I won't be using your pattern��

    ReplyDelete